marți, februarie 08, 2005


Vector Art....

So, awhile back I was lamenting to G-Had the fact that there are no free vector-based drawing programs out there. There are plenty of free raster-based programs that are nice (GIMP, etc), but I could never find a vector drawing program. Then, suddenly, I realized that I have at my disposal one of the worlds foremost vector editing packages, ArcView GIS 3.2. That's right, the image below was drawn using industry standard (well, 5 years ago industry standard) GIS software..

Click to make it enormous..




"Bonnie"


I was pleased, all-in-all, with ArcView's performance. Everything has to be polygon, for scaling reasons (this particular drawing had map units of kilometers, distance units of nautical miles..) It works basically like a low-tech drawing program, except that instead of a handy layer toolbox, you just have to create a billion different shapefiles.

I decided to do this picture, because I know how much Abbie likes it..I thought of doing one of Jen, but I thought that doing curls might be beyond my skill level in vector format, at this point....I will work my way up to curls..

By the way, this image is HUGE. Like Desktop-size. I might have to use this one for my desktop, until G-Had finishes garbage collector Cookie Monster..

Love,
Dr. m

Comments:
Wow, that's amazing. Truly amazing. If you were in Maryville you could have entered this in the "Art Meets Science" art show this week. It would be cool to see a computer set up as a GIS workstation with that shapefile loaded.
-gh
 
Sourceforge has two free Vector programs, Inkscape and Sodipodi. Not sure which platform you use, but both are available for Windows and Sodipodi can be installed on Mac OSX with some tweaking. Sodipodi and Inkscape.

I've done some decent illustrations with Inkscape.
 
Trimiteți un comentariu

<< Home


eXTReMe Tracker This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?